Detrix Young, a Wal-Mart employee in Aiken, South Carolina, reports that she sat in a store-wide meeting where one of her female co-workers asked why the men in the store earned more than the women. One of the male managers answered that “men are working as the heads of their households, while women are just working for the sake of working.” Another male manager laughed, even though several of the women were single mothers trying to make ends meet on a Wal-Mart paycheck.
:: HEAD EXPLODES ::
Charlie Sheen escapes jail time and goes to rehab instead. After assaulting his wife. With a knife to her throat. He goes to rehab. Lindsay Lohan, who, well, whatever, but that girl had to go to prison? Lilo is certainly a hot mess, but in comparison, I am starting to understand why people have sympathy for her.
Why is violence against women, domestic violence, STILL so ignored? Even all this crap with Mel Gibson — most people are screaming about how he’s a drunk racist, not about the fact that he threatened to murder his girlfriend and bury her body in the garden. HE PUNCHED HER IN THE FACE.
I suppose as long as Charlie Sheen keeps making CBS money, he’ll be fine.
Cardinal links homosexuality to pedophilia. I can’t even comment on this without making this blog completely NSFW — that is how enraged I am right now. These abusers and their enablers (all the way up to the Pope) are monsters. MONSTERS.
Starting in March, I began purchasing my own health insurance. My previous coverage ran out at the end of February and I got retroactive coverage beginning on March 1st. I got a letter from my new carrier the other day telling me that they will basically consider everything I have to be a “pre-existing condition” until March 2011. Presumably that includes my asthma, my migraines, my allergies and my anxiety — all treatment can be denied. That means a FULL YEAR of me paying for health insurance that I will not be able to use. Apparently I can get this period waived if I can provide evidence that I DID have previous coverage up until March 1st. Please cross your fingers that I can get the appropriate paperwork and fix this. (But you know, the healthcare system in this country isn’t broken)
To say that this week has started off on a bad note is a drastic understatement. I try not to complain a lot on this blog, but honestly, you guys, I have just about had it. I wake up every day and it feels like the majority of the world around me has gone batshit insane and I’m tired of pretending it hasn’t. I feel like I’m being constantly kicked in the face and I am so over it.
p.s. This isn’t just about health insurance. It’s about a whole lotta crap, but it’s stuff I can’t discuss on the public internetz. General sturm und drang, as Tim Gunn would say.
- You didn’t get mad when the Supreme Court stopped a legal recount and appointed a President.
- You didn’t get mad when Cheney allowed Energy company officials to dictate energy policy.
- You didn’t get mad when a covert CIA operative got outed.
- You didn’t get mad when the Patriot Act got passed.
- You didn’t get mad when we illegally invaded a country that posed no threat to us.
- You didn’t get mad when we spent over 600 billion (and counting) on said illegal war.
- You didn’t get mad when over 10 billion dollars just disappeared in Iraq.
- You didn’t get mad when you found out we were torturing people.
- You didn’t get mad when the government was illegally wiretapping Americans.
- You didn’t get mad when we didn’t catch Bin Laden.
- You didn’t get mad when you saw the horrible conditions at Walter Reed.
- You didn’t get mad when we let a major US city, New Orleans, drown.
- You didn’t get mad when we gave a 900 billion tax break to the rich.
- You didn’t get mad when the deficit hit the trillion dollar mark.
- You finally got mad when the government decided that people in America deserved the right to see a doctor if they are sick. Yes, illegal wars, lies, corruption, torture, stealing your tax dollars to make the rich richer, are all okay with you, but helping other Americans…oh hell no.